Wednesday, July 8, 2009

CA Adult Rider Story - Lisa Mehner

This story was originally posted on the USEA Blog by Emily Daily I know Lisa, and she is truly inspirational, just like many of you adult riders.


I want the opportunity to tell my story to all the mothers out there who gave up what they love to support their children’s dreams. They too can get back in the saddle and follow their own dreams. It may take longer. It may take riding before work – I would get up at 4:30 a.m., feed the horses at home and then go to my trainer’s barn for a 6:00 a.m. lesson before I went to work. And the entire time, my husband’s input would be “You’re nuts!”


(Above: Elisabeth accepts her numerous year-end awards from USEA President Kevin Baumgardner at the 2008 USEA Annual Meeting & Convention. Josh Walker photo.)


Before 2004, people knew me as “Lisa, the braider” at all my son’s events. I would braid up to 20 horses at an event to help pay for his riding and competing. It was only after Michael gave me an event entry at Galway Downs for a Mother’s Day gift, that I started riding again. For 10 years my focus had been to support Michael’s riding – I didn’t even think of riding for myself. But after that first event at Galway, I was hooked (even though I finished with a score in the 80s). I knew I could only do better.


In March 2006, my husband Mark bought me my horse Gali, a small, young thoroughbred that needed a job. I had known about him for a couple of months when my veterinarian told me that a woman bought him from the track but did not have the time to train him. He had a lot of energy and a large heart. When I took him to his first show, you could tell he liked to show off. To settle him down, I would lunge him and ride him twice before his dressage test. But the consistent training, rain or shine, and combined efforts of horse Gali, rider [me] and our trainer, Debbie Rosen, (don’t get me wrong, it was fun – fun work!) are not without a payoff. We improved, progressing individually and as a unit, until lo and behold…




It wasn’t until I looked at the USEA leaderboard on April 10, 2008 that the idea of achieving a National title even entered my head. (I didn’t even know the leaderboard existed until than then.) I was so blown away to see my name, Elisabeth Mehner, and my horse’s name, Good Day Gali, appear on in the standings, leading in both rider and horse title, that I set a new goal in my life. Even my husband, who’s not so fond of horses, caught my fever and trailer-d me to shows. He knew that there was no stopping me. As long as my body didn’t fall apart, I was going to give it my best shot.

After all is said and done, I enjoyed and continue to reap all kinds of rewards from the USEA and this sport. Everyone, the participants and officials, just couldn’t be nicer. When I went to New Orleans to receive my National title at the USEA luncheon, I randomly sat at the same table as this young lady from Tennessee, who happened to be a close competitor on the leaderboard. It turns out that last year we both consistently checked each other’s standings as we came closer to the title. It could have been a really uncomfortable situation, but we had a mutual admiration for each other. For me, the camaraderie that eventing inspires is one of its greatest attractions.
Please use my story as an inspiration to young and old: If you want to do something that seems unattainable because of your circumstances, it can be done. There is a way, just expand your perspective, imagine a way, and then see it through.


You too can jump that hurdle!
Do you have an interesting, inspirational or funny story to share with other Adult Riders? Send it to me at dawnrobbins@sbcglobal.net!

No comments:

Post a Comment