Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Welcome Adult Riders!!

Adult Riders Rock, that's the theme of this blog. As the new Area VI Adult Rider rep, I thought I'd start by setting up a site that we could use to share some news, post some ideas, complain about stuff, celebrate our accomplishments, and have some fun.

I'd love to have your input about how to improve the adult riding experience in Area VI. I'm thinking:

Parties at the Shows

Clinics

Adult Camps

Hats or T-shirts

More Prizes for Area VI Adult Riders (how about end of year awards just for adults?)

More Recognition for Adult Riders of all levels!!!

When is the last time you were at a show, waiting for a ribbon (or watching everyone else pick up their ribbon), and you had to sit through tons of young riders awards? Nothing against young riders, OF COURSE, but yeesh. As adults, we have to work, pay for our horses and training, take care of our kids (and our husbands/wives who are acting like kids), do all the barn work, drive to and from the show, and try to be so darn "adult" about the whole thing. I mean, no whining, no screaming, no crying, no shrieking "I want a new horse" to mommy after getting eliminated, and no cool prize at the end. Are you kidding??? We need serious recognition and we need it NOW.

Another note - I've been involved in the eventing world for six or seven years now. I still remember nervously riding down to my first beginner novice dressage test at Galway. It was overwhelming. A young woman rode up next to me and started a conversation - I must have looked like I was about to puke. She was very nice and very supportive and I relaxed and smiled. Then she rode away...later I found out she was India McEvoy, now an Advanced rider. We all need to remember how important it is to support our fellow adult riders, especially if they are just starting out! Lend a helping hand, or just smile and tell someone how great they look. They will remember and it will make a difference.

So, I want to figure out how to improve our experience...and I need your input. Post a comment! Tell us your ideas! Send me an article! Let me know what you've been up to, and I'll post it for all to see! Send pics! Come on adult riders, get involved!

Can't wait to hear from you,

Dawn Robbins
Your Cheerleader
Area VI Adult Rider Rep

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dawn,
    Congratulations on being the new Area VI Adult Rider Rep. Wow, you are starting off with a bang! I loved reading the stories posted so far. Please let me know if I can be of help with anything coming up. I will see you at the upcoming event at Woodside.

    Be well....
    Annie J. Schmidt & Maxwell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Annie!!

    Can you hula-hoop?? I am horrible at it! We need hoopers at the contest! I'm also planning to contribute some wine/beer/food for the adult rider contingent at the competitor party, so I hope to see you there!

    Great to hear from you and talk with you soon,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete